This checklist is intended to guide students in the final stages of degree completion. To be considered a degree candidate in any given semester, all degree requirements must be fulfilled and required documentation submitted no later than the University-wide Application for Graduation deadline.
The University has also established an early degree completion deadline that some students may wish to take advantage of. If a student meets all departmental and University requirements by this deadline, and was enrolled during the previous semester, he or she is not required to enroll for the current semester. This deadline falls approximately two weeks after the start of the Fall and Spring semesters, one week after the start of the Summer session. See the current CLAS Graduation Calendar for a specific date.
Students are strongly encouraged to visit the COGA office (102 Strong Hall) to submit their requirements, or to consult with COGA staff in advance. This allows the staff to work directly with you to ensure your documentation is complete.
⇒Apply for Graduation (AFG)
- Apply through Enroll & Pay. You can find detailed instructions on completing the AFG here.
⇒Electronic Dissertation Submission
- Submit the PDF version of your dissertation to the UMI/Proquest submission site.
- Dissertation formatting guidelines can be found here.
- Your submission will be verified by COGA. COGA does not submit the final approval of your work to UMI/ProQuest until after the degree certification process is complete. Your work will not be available through UMI/ProQuest until that time.
⇒Fees paid to UMI/Proquest (if applicable)
- There is an optional copyright fee. You may also order bound copies for an additional cost.
- Doctoral students should complete two surveys: 1) KU’s Doctoral Completion Survey (DCS) and 2) the national-level Survey of Earned Doctorates (SED).
⇒Title page and Acceptance page with signatures
- Title page requires a majority of committee members’ signatures.
- Acceptance page requires only committee chairperson’s signature.
- These pages must comply with the formatting guidelines. Please see the templates for additional guidance.
⇒ETD Release Form
- Please review and sign the form.
- If you need to place an embargo on your dissertation, you must also obtain your Department Graduate Director’s original signature.
⇒Consult with your department/advisor
- Confirm that all academic requirements for the degree have been met, and that they have submitted your final exam/defense outcome online (PtD form).