Committee on Graduate Studies (CGS)
- Jim Mielke, Associate Dean for the Social & Behavioral Sciences, Dean’s Office Liaison
- Kristine Latta, Director of the College Office of Graduate Affairs, COGA Liaison
- Cynthia Lynn, Administrative Support
The Committee on Graduate Studies (CGS) reviews and makes recommendations to the College Academic Council (CAC) on issues of graduate educational policy, degree requirements, curricular changes, and requests for special relief from University or College policy. The Committee also oversees the selection of graduate students and faculty to be honored with College awards.
Membership » comprises elected faculty and students.
Much of the work of the CGS is conducted in three subcommittees.
- Program and Curricular Changes Subcommittee
- Policies and Student Petitions Subcommittee
- Proposals, Scholarships, and Awards Subcommittee
The full committee of CGS meets during the academic year on the second and fourth Thursdays of the month from 11:00 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. in 210 Strong Hall. The CGS does not meet if classes are not in session. The following are scheduled meeting dates for 2013-2014:
- August 29
- September 12 and 26
- October 10 and 224
- November 7 and 21
- December 12
- January 23
- February 13 and 27
- March 13 and 27
- April 10 and 24
- May 8
CGS and its sub-committees make every effort to review program changes, curricular changes, and petitions submitted by departments in a timely fashion. The CGS schedule of submission deadlines provides departments with a guide to the timing of the review process.
Department representatives are welcome to attend the full CGS committee meeting at any time, and may find it especially useful to do so when curricular or program changes for their department are under consideration.
The following are links to online forms and information pertaining to program, curricular and petition processes governed by the CGS.
- Proposals for New Graduate Programs & Certificates
- Graduate Curricular Change Form »
- Graduate Program Change Form »
- Petition Forms*
- Graduate Certificate Renewals »
*Petition forms are only available to those with access to the Graduate Studies PtD system. Contact your department staff person if you have questions about access.